Driver / Biking Guide
Alaska Trail Guides provides half-day, full-day, and multi-day/multi-sport itineraries. Driver-guides and biking-guides work together to create experiences for our guests for all our tours. Whether you are biking with clients or providing support in the vehicle, you will be integral in crafting the guest’s experience. Guides organize and execute tours catering to all guests according to Alaska Trail Guides’ standards and procedures. Using company transportation assets (10-15 passenger van + trailer) co-guides move guests and equipment in a professional, friendly, and timely manner. Co-guides outfit clients with bikes and helmets, ensuring proper fit, before the ride.
Driver Guides provide support during the tour and meet the group at various viewpoints.
Biking Guides leads the tour, ensures client safety while biking, provides information at various viewpoints along the way.
Key Responsibilities and duties:
- Demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making skills (risk management)
- Work well in a team with their co-guides with set up, pack up, and actively assist all guests each day. Deliver briefings and generally interact professionally and pleasantly with guests at all times.
- Flexibility to lead different trips either as a bike-guide or driver-guide, according to the operational needs of the business.
- Learn client expectations and strive to meet them
- Relate local knowledge including natural, geological, and glacial history
- Assess and maintain all equipment, performing repairs on equipment or notifying management promptly if equipment requires additional servicing beyond daily maintenance
- Leave No Trace Ethics and attitude of environmental stewardship
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Experience towing a trailer: 1+ years
- No previous guiding experience is required, but applicants should be enjoy biking
- Outstanding customer service, communication skills, and strong organizational skills
- FA & CPR
- Clean driving record for the past three years
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities Required
- Able to work independently and lead fun, varied, safe, and informative bike rides
- Ability to work well within a team and maintain effective working relationships
- Punctual, reliable, able to give and receive constructive feedback
- Knowledge of Alaska and Anchorage’s natural and human history, geography, and standard attractions.
- Excellent guest/customer service skills, including speaking with guests, assisting them in solving their problems in a positive way
- Ability to manage multiple guest’s demands and stay focused on service and safety
- Strong Physical Fitness: Guides split their time between biking and van support, however, must be physically fit to ride every day if needed. In addition to cycling, we expect all guides to be able to comfortably lift 30 lbs.
Mountain Biking Guide
In addition to the above, Mountain Biking Guides require the minimum Qualifications:
- Mountain biking experience: 2+ years
- Wilderness First Responder Certificate or Wilderness FA & CPR or CPR & FA
- Basic bike repair knowledge and skills: remove and replace either a tube and/or tire from both the front and rear of a bike and properly seat the wheel in the dropouts with the proper tightening of the quick release lever in 5 minutes or less
- Remove and replace a bike chain in 5 minutes or less to repair broken chains on a trail